Position and Responsibilities
This position carries primary responsibility of preparing high quality, polished documents (often several hundred pages long) using Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Word, together with supporting planners on a variety of tasks such as maintaining project websites; preparing presentations, meeting notes, and short reports; and general project and office organization. The ideal candidate will bring strong expertise in InDesign and Microsoft Office, have excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills, a keen attention to detail, and able to work efficiently and meet deadlines. Responsibilities would include:
- Prepare and coordinate documents with high level of graphic, mapping, and photographic content, working with planners and cartographers. Maintain versions, ensure quality control, proof and edit
- Provide support for planning projects—prepare PowerPoint presentations, charts and graphs using Excel, transcribe meeting notes, write survey reports, assist with public workshops, organize materials, gather data, etc.
- Assist with project websites setup and upkeep
- Administrative support (approximately 10-15% time)
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
Candidates must have a BA and minimum one year of similar work experience.
- Strong expertise in InDesign and MS Word; expertise in other Adobe CS software (Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat)
- Excellent editing, grammar, and verbal communication skills. Excellent command of written and spoken English (native-level fluency is required)
- Strong knowledge of page layout, information design, typography, UI design
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to work with different levels of staff and clients
- Ability to take initiative, “can do” attitude, and commitment to meeting deadlines
- Expertise in Excel, PowerPoint, and SketchUp
- Working knowledge of HTML, CSS, WordPress
- Previous experience in planning, landscape, or architectural office
This is a great position for someone who wants to gain exposure to urban planning; a significant portion of position holders go on to graduate urban planning programs. Candidates with a degree in urban studies, architecture, or another design field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Starting base salary range from $48,000 to $52,000, depending on skills and experience. In addition to salary, we offer a full range of benefits, including vacation/sick leave, paid holidays, medical insurance, and company contribution to IRA.
Email cover letter/email and resume in PDF only to email@example.com. No phone calls please. The position is open until filled.