Urban Planning Project Assistant / Document Production
Dyett & Bhatia is a 20-person urban planning consulting firm, with a focus on preparing long-range plans for cities. The firm will be relocating July 1 to Downtown Oakland, directly adjacent to the 12th Street BART station. Until relocation, position will be based in the Jackson Square District (@ Sansome/Pacific streets) of downtown San Francisco.
Position and Responsibilities
This position carries primary responsibility of preparing high quality, polished documents (often several hundred pages long) using Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Word, together with supporting planners on a variety of tasks such as maintaining project websites; preparing presentations, meeting notes, and short reports; and general project and office organization. The ideal candidate will bring strong expertise in InDesign and Microsoft Office, have excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills, possess a keen attention to detail, and be able to work efficiently and meet deadlines. Responsibilities would include:
- Prepare and coordinate documents with a high level of graphic, mapping, and photographic content, working with planners and cartographers. Maintain versions, ensure quality control, proof and edit.
- Provide support for planning projects—prepare PowerPoint presentations, charts and graphs using Excel, transcribe meeting notes, assist with public workshops, organize materials, gather data, synthesize survey data and write survey reports.
- Assist with project websites setup and upkeep.
- Administrative support (approximately 10-15% time).
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
Candidates must have a BA and some similar work experience.
- Strong expertise in InDesign and Word; expertise in other Adobe CS software (Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat)
- Excellent editing, grammar, and verbal communication skills. Excellent command of written and spoken English (native-level fluency is required)
- Strong knowledge of page layout, information design, typography, UI design
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to work with different levels of staff and clients
- Ability to take initiative, “can do” attitude, and commitment to meeting deadlines
- Expertise in Excel, PowerPoint, and SketchUp
- Working knowledge of HTML, CSS, WordPress
- Previous experience in planning, landscape, or architectural office
This is a great position for someone who wants to gain exposure to working in an urban planning firm. A significant portion of recent position holders have gone on to graduate urban planning programs. Candidates with a degree in urban studies, architecture, or another design field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary and Benefits
Starting base salary range from $47,000 to $52,000, depending on skills and experience. In addition to salary, we offer a full range of benefits, including vacation/sick leave, paid holidays, medical insurance, pre-tax transit allowance, and company contribution to IRA.
How to Apply
Email cover letter/email and resume in PDF only to email@example.com. No phone calls please. The position is open until filled.
April 30, 2018